San Juan Travel Guide
Your Travel Guide to the Charming Capital of Puerto Rico
and second oldest city in the New World
San Juan is a city known by many for its historic charm, beauty and picturesque scenery with its forts, hanging balconies...
blue cobblestone streets, plazas...
colorful buildings, and great sunsets that create a picture perfect environment!
It is a popular cruise destination in the Caribbean for many cruise lines.
San Juan has the most popular and busiest port in the Caribbean. Trades and goods for the island make their way every day to the port along with many cruise ships that transport over one million visitors a year to the city!
Why do visitors come to San Juan? Here's why...
San Juan is a favorite destination for many visitors because it is an exotic city filled with history that offers many possibilities for everyone in the middle of the Caribbean. From those that enjoy a city atmosphere with vibrant nightlife to those that prefer more seclusion in a tropical setting. San Juan has it all! And of course, on top of that, just as any other Caribbean destination, something that attracts visitors to this great island is the beaches! And San Juan has them too!
Here are other highlights and interesting facts about San Juan that make it a popular Caribbean destination:
- San Juan is the second oldest city in the Americas (older than any other in the U.S.), after Santo Domingo in Dominican Republic. Therefore it has a lot of history, which you can see reflected in its architecture: buildings, plazas (squares), streets, etc.
- Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the United States. Therefore passports are not required for US citizens. Also, English is the second official language of Puerto Rico and it is spoken fluently by many locals (No need to worry about communication problems). ;-)
- Currency is the U.S. dollar. You don’t have to worry about currency exchange if you are coming from the U.S. or be cheated for not knowing the exchange rates.
- Most cell phones companies in the U.S. include Puerto Rico in their national plans. That means you don’t need to turn your cell phone off or worry about international roaming charges.
- Casinos are legal in Puerto Rico, and there are many in San Juan.
- Puerto Rico is home to the famous Bacardi Rum Distillery, which is located in the metropolitan area of San Juan.
- Baseball is big in San Juan and you can watch a game for a fairly low price.
- Salsa is also big in San Juan and you can find many places where salsa is played and danced if you are in the mood to practice or to give it a shot!
- There are many restaurants that offer the most exquisite and exotic dining experiences Caribbean style.
- San Juan is located just 45 minutes to an hour’s drive from El Yunque, the only National Tropical Rainforest in the United States. This is a place that is worth visiting when you are in Puerto Rico. It is the only one of its kind!
- Other great attractions like The Caverns of Rio Camuy and the Arecibo Observatory (where the world’s largest radio telescope is) are approximately 1-½ hours’ drive from San Juan.
- And best of all, you don’t need to worry about packing your winter coats to come to San Juan because the
weather stays warm all year round!
What you will find in this Travel Guide
Whether your visit is for business or pleasure, this travel guide is intended to give you an insight of the many things you can do, see and explore in the beautiful city of San Juan, the capital of Puerto Rico.
Here is a summary of what you will find in this San Juan Travel Guide:
As for me, there is also a section that tells you a little bit about my story and where I share in more detail my passion about San Juan and Puerto Rico.
I hope this website could be helpful to you in planning your visit to San Juan. And if you are just exploring the possibility of traveling there someday, I hope I spark your interest enough, and Puerto Rico makes it to the top of your list of places to visit.
¡Bienvenido a la Isla del Encanto!
Welcome to the Isle of Enchantment!
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- San Juan Travel Guide Blog
- What's new on SanJuan-Travel-Guide.Com? Find out on this page. This San Juan Travel Guide Blog tells you about the latest additions, news and updates to my San Juan Travel Guide site.
- San Juan Facts: Visiting San Juan, History, Culture, Weather
- Overview of San Juan Facts. Learn about the history, the culture and the weather of the city. Plus, learn about its location in the Caribbean.
- Old San Juan Guide: For your vacation in the capital of Puerto Rico
- Overview of Old San Juan, Puerto Rico, the walled city. Travel Information about this historic and beautiful destination in the Caribbean.
- Old San Juan Visitor Center: New Location
- La Casita is no longer the Old San Juan Visitor Center. Learn about its new location and be prepared for your San Juan vacation. Collect maps, brochures and information and get going.
- San Juan Resort Area: Condado and Isla Verde
- Brief overview of Condado and Isla Verde and "what to do" information. Learn about these resort destinations in San Juan.
- San Juan Neighborhoods: Overview of Major San Juan Neighborhoods
- Brief description of major San Juan neighborhoods and "what to do" information: Puerta de Tierra, Hato Rey, Ocean Park, Rio Piedras, Miramar & Santurce.
- Getting to San Juan: By Air and By Sea - San Juan Airport & Cruise Terminals
- Two common ways for getting to San Juan are flying and going on a cruise ship. Explore these two options to make your San Juan vacation a reality.
- Getting Around San Juan: by Car, by Taxi, by Bus, and by Train
- Guidelines for getting around San Juan: San Juan Car Rental information, San Juan Taxi service, San Juan Bus system, and Tren Urbano.
- San Juan Accommodations: Hotels, Small Inns, Vacation Rentals
- So you're visiting San Juan, Puerto Rico, but don't know yet where to stay? Let us help you with that. Search San Juan accommodations by type, location, category and features.
- San Juan Hotels: Hotel Accommodations in Old San Juan, Condado, and Isla Verde
- List of popular San Juan hotels and useful links to find hotels by location and by category in the capital of Puerto Rico.
- San Juan Inns and Bed and Breakfasts
- List of San Juan inns in Condado, Isla Verde, Ocean Park and Old San Juan.
- San Juan Vacation Rentals
- See a short selection of San Juan vacation rentals, like condos and villas, in Old San Juan, Isla Verde and Puerta de Tierra.
- San Juan Beaches in the Condado, Ocean Park and Isla Verde Areas
- San Juan Beaches: Learn about the beaches in the San Juan Metro Area. Condado Beach, Ocean Park Beach, Isla Verde Beach, and the ones designated as Blue Flag Beaches.
- San Juan Forts: El Morro, Castillo San Cristobal, City Wall and Smaller Forts
- Learn about the number one attraction in Old San Juan and Puerto Rico: San Juan Forts that were part of the defense line against enemy attacks.
- San Juan Parks in Old San Juan and Puerta de Tierra
- Visit a San Juan park while on vacation to enjoy views, relax and entertain the family. Learn about Parque de las Palomas, Parque del Tercer Milenio and Parque Luis Munoz Rivera.
- San Juan Art Galleries & Gallery Nights
- Overview and list of San Juan Art Galleries. Pay a visit to them if you are an art "aficionado", especially on Gallery Nights.
- San Juan Nightlife: Pubs, Dance Clubs, Casinos, Live Entertainment
- San Juan Nightlife: Check out the nightlife that the vibrant city of San Juan, Puerto Rico has to offer. Explore your options and don't worry, you won't be bored!
- San Juan Casinos; San Juan Hotels with Casinos
- Feeling lucky? Visit one of the many San Juan casinos and win big! Here is a list of casinos in San Juan for you to start planning ahead.
- San Juan Dining: A Taste of San Juan
- Overview of Puerto Rican food for your San Juan dining experience.
- San Juan Restaurants in Old San Juan, Condado, Isla Verde and Other Areas
- Check out my list of recommended San Juan restaurants based on location and type of food they serve.
- San Juan Shopping: Guide to Shopping in Old San Juan and Condado
- So you're visiting San Juan and have some extra cash to spend... Check out my tips on what to buy and where to go for your San Juan shopping experience.
- San Juan Travel Guide: About Me and This Site
- About Me Section: This section explains why I created a website about San Juan and how I did it.
- San Juan Travel Guide: Contact Me
- Contact Me section for SanJuanTravelGuide.com
- San Juan Travel Guide is committed to keeping your information private, your personal information will not be sold or shared with anyone.
- Ocean Park Inns, B&B's and Guesthouses | San Juan, Puerto Rico
- List of Ocean Park inns and other accommodations like guesthouses and bed and breakfasts. Make your stay in this unique neighborhood in San Juan, Puerto Rico.